For all you "Hot Dog" Lovers out there!
I had a little red mini dachshund as a child, so the dog breed has always been very special to me. My pom pom animal collection would not be complete without a little Dackel. (German for Dachshund. That's what we called him. My brother was taking German at the time. The name stuck.) Here are directions on how you can add this little critter to your collection too!
What You Need:
- 4 reddish brown, black or tan 1 1/2" pom poms for the snout and body. (Use the directions for how to make a pom pom!)
- 1 - 2" pom pom in the same color for the head
- 4 - 1/2" pom poms for the legs.
- Felt, black and brown for the ears and nose. Colored felt for collar (optional)
- Google Eyes
- Extra Yarn for tail
- Craft Wire - or a piece of a wire clothes hanger.
- Glue, scissors (the basics)
How To Proceed:
Take the two inch pom pom and three of the four 1 1/2" pom poms and string them along the wire. Put glue in between them to secure them in place. Cut the wire so there is about two inches remaining on the tail end. Trim the wire so there is none remaining on the head end. Bend the wire so the head is at an angle to the body.
Next, using the hat pin method of glueing , affix the snout and the feet.
Cut the felt ears and nose, and glue in place along with the google eyes. Cut and Glue on the collar.
The tail is made by wrapping the exposed wire with the extra yarn. You will have to tie it off after it is the desired thickness.
Allow your creation to dry completely before removing pins or bending wire any more. Once dry, you can position him as desired by bending the wire.